Staph food poisoning also known as Staphylococcal Food Poisoning is caused by a bacteria called Staphylococcus. Staphylococcus aureus are commonly found in throats,nose,hair,eyes and skin of animals and people.
Staphylococcal Food Poisoning is kind different from other food poisoning because it is not due to inserting bacteria. Staphylococcus aureus are caused to produce toxins in the foods and when we consume these food these toxins start infecting us. One more thing to be noted about this kind of food poisoning instead of food that are toxins have normal taste. So hard to know i am going to consume toxins.
By ready next part we can easily know have we staph food poisoning or not.
Staphylococcal Food Poisoning Symptoms
staphylococcal food poisoning symptoms usually comes fast the time frame is from 30 min to 5 or 8 hours. Usually its mild but depend on your body how it response to toxins, the amount of toxins in foods your consume. Recovery time is usually 2 days but it can be extend in worst cases.
Staph food poisoning Symptoms are
- Stomach Cramping
In worst case it could be
- Changes In Pulse Rate And Blood Pressure
- Muscle Cramping
staphylococcal food poisoning is not contiguous and it is usually mild. In worst cases better to consult with doctor. To know about causes and prevention of this type of food poisoning can help you to avoid staph food poisoning before got infected.
Staphylococcal Food Poisoning Causes
Keeping foods in room temperature or unproperly stored foods are main Staphylococcal Food Poisoning Causes. Foods kept below 140°F (60°C) or above 40°F (4°C) have more risk to get contaminated. In addition foods made by a person who has already skin infection, consuming uncooked foods could be other causes of staph food poisoning.
Associated food with this type of food poisoning are.
- Egg And Poultry Products
- Cream Pies
- Cream-Filled Pastries
- Chocolate Eclairs
- Milk And Dairy Products
- Sandwich Fillings
- Topped Desserts
Staphylococcal Food Poisoning Treatment
staphylococcal food poisoning treatment is not life threatening most of cases are treatable at home. Usually it recover by its own in around 48 hours. However what should you to treat it are take plenty of fluids which you lost while suffering. Take electrolyte solution (easily available) with water . Because electrolyte solution have all necessary minerals that we need in dehydration. As antibiotics dont have any effect on staph bacteria so it is not prescribe during staphylococcal food poisoning treatment.
We know staph food poisoning are treatable at home. However people that are falls in high risk group like infants and older age. They should consult to doctors because might be they need treatment in hospital.
Staphylococcal Food Poisoning Prevention
I think this will be the most important part of the article. The steps which can by which prevent Staphylococcal Food Poisoning.
- After shopping try to come back home as soon as you can so that you can store your foods properly. During shopping keep your food (like fish, meats and raw foods) separate from other items.
- Before or after handling food wash your hands, after changing diapers using bath room. Use separate cutting board for fresh fruits ,vegetables and raw foods.
- Try to refrigerate or cook raw foods(meat, poultry and fish) within 2 hours.
- Hot foods should be cooked above 140°F (60°C) and cold foods should be keep cold below 40°F (4°C).
- Try to read food labels because it contain all the info how to use the food when it is going to expire. We follow these labels that can helps in preventing staph food poisoning.
- If you are not sure about food it is safe or not dont eat it. Reheating the effected food do not make it safe.
- Bacteria is growing fast in warm weather. Be careful about food preparation specially out door case.
- Dont mix raw and cooked foods.
- Dont handle food when you have skin infection.